key documents & data
- Track Equinox Gold’s environmental performance
- Read Equinox Gold’s Environment & Climate Policy
- Read Equinox Gold’s 2020 ESG Report
- Read Equinox Gold’s Tailings Management Report
MINIMIZING OUR ENVIRONMENTAL FOOTPRINT
As part of the planning process, we identify risks and develop management strategies to prevent and mitigate environmental impacts. We consider full life-of-mine risks and opportunities, carefully planning every stage of development from exploration through to construction, operations and finally closure, always seeking to minimize our environmental footprint.
At all operations, we have established environmental management systems that conform with ISO14001, and aim at protecting the long-term health and viability of the natural environments surrounding or affected by our activities by:
- Promoting the reduction in usage of raw materials as well as the reuse or recycling of waste streams
- Aiming to prevent and mitigate impacts to biodiversity through research, partnerships, and land management processes
- Fostering and maintaining a culture of environmental responsibility within the workplace
- Performing progressive reclamation activities during the life of mine, and regularly update closure plans to take into consideration the interests of host communities
- Reporting, investigating and remediating all environmental incidents
- Resourcing our site teams so they are equipped to manage any conceivable emergency
- Ensuring the safe and responsible management and storage of tailings during the life of operations and after mine closure
PARTNERING WITH LOCAL GROUPS
Equinox Gold’s commitment to environmental sustainability includes partnering with local groups to provide favourable environmental outcomes as well as opportunities for education and training. For example, at Castle Mountain, we have collaborated with the California Bighorn Sheep Preservation Society to install watering points that are used to keep our local population of bighorn sheep healthy and thriving. Read more about the Castle Mountain initiatives here.
A summary of Equinox Gold’s management approach to ESG issues, progress during 2020 and next steps for 2021 can be found in our Responsible Mining: Commitments & Performance document. More detailed information about Equinox Gold’s environmental performance during 2020 can be viewed here.
For 2021, Equinox Gold has set the target of achieving a Significant Environmental Incidents Frequency rate of 1.6 or less.